Thursday 22 January 2009

Start of the New Term

Hello Again!

Well, it's been a while, no denying that. I'm afraid the end of term rush in December got the better of me. However, I've just gotten back from a very restful and enjoyable Christmas vacation and I'm ready to blog again. The start of term was officially the 12th of January, but Week 1 tends to be a dead week while classes get started up again, new supervisions begin and the like. I have finished the supervision for my Early Modern Britain class and am taking Empire & Commonwealth this term. We've begun with our first topic, Britain in the 18th century. Oh I know your jealous.

London this winter has turned out to be fun in the sun compared to the poor United States. Those freezing temperatures are the price you pay for having Canada as a neighbor. It's generally in the High 30's, mid 40s here (F), a bit colder when the wind picks up. Definitely NOT Columbia Jacket weather, which is fine by me!

Besides settling into the new academic term, not much has happened over here. Twilight is beginning to make its splash in the UK, as I have two flatmates starting on the series, one who is finished with all four books already, and all three major fans of the movie. I attempted to explain that the Twilight phenomenon has reached Harry Potter-esque mania in the States, but they just don't believe me. What can I say? You just don't mess with the Boy Who Lived...

As a send off note, I will say that the UK followed President Obama's inauguration as diligently as any American. Every pub I passed on Tuesday had it on the television, and the BBC did a whole series of programs on the new president. Looks to be a promising year so far!

No comments: